The EBP process is a stepwise process:
0. Cultivate a spirit of inquiry. (Be curious!)
1. Develop a question using the PICOT format.
2. Search for and collect the most relevant best evidence.
3. Critically appraise the evidence.
4. Integrate the evidence into practice using clinical expertise with attention to patient's values and perspectives.
5. Evaluate outcomes of the practice decision or change based on evidence.
6. Disseminate the outcomes of the EBP decision or change.
Melnyk, B. M., & Fineout-Overholt, E. (2011). Evidence-based practice in nursing & healthcare: a guide to best practice. Philadelphia : Wolters Kluwer/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins Health, p. 11.
The strength and quality of evidence becomes stronger as you approach the top of the evidence pyramid. Try to find this type of evidence first. Are there clinical guidelines or systematic reviews related to your topic?
Click on the following links for definitions of the following:
For more information about research design and study types, check out "Study Design 101" from the The Himmelfarb Health Sciences Library, https://himmelfarb.gwu.edu/tutorials/studydesign101/
Adapted from University of Pennsylvania "Evidence-Based Medicine Resources" guide, http://guides.library.upenn.edu/ebm_resources