Students attending Bryan College of Health Sciences in an online environment will have access to library services that are of the same quality and standards as library services provided to students attending courses on-campus.
The Library has several databases to be used for locating journal articles to support research papers and clinical care. Use the "Advanced Fusion Search" link to search all library resources simultaneously. To search individual databases, go to the Research & Tools tab / Databases link to select a database. Popular databases include Academic Search Elite (for General Education literature), CINAHL Complete (for Nursing literature), Nursing Reference Center and PubMed (for clinical medical literature).
Typically, a window will open that will ask for your network ID and password. If you have problems in logging into the electronic resources, please call the Library.
Use the "Journals' link from the Research & Tools tab to access the BCHS Journals list. Enter the journal title to determine whether the Library has electronic access to the journal. If you are prompted for a log-in, use your network ID and password. Contact the Library if you need assistance.
INTERLIBRARY LOAN (ILL):
· Interlibrary Loan is the process used to request books or journal articles not owned by the Bryan Library.
· There is no charge to the student for receiving articles through ILL. The Library absorbs any ILL charges.
· The BCHS Library will request the articles or books from other libraries.
o Allow approximately 3-5 days to receive an article.
o Book requests may take 1-3 weeks from request to receipt, as the delivery process is much more time-consuming.
· Articles are delivered to the requestor via e-mail, as a PDF attachment.
· Requests from students for Interlibrary Loans will be processed during normal business hours (M-F, 7:30 am - 4 pm) and will be handled as "routine" requests. Sorry, but no "RUSH" requests will be processed for students.
· There are numerous ways in which to submit a request for an Interlibrary Loan:
o Use the Online ILL Form available from the Library homepage
o Use an ILL request form linked from within the EBSCO databases
· Article requests made through the Bryan College of Health Sciences Library are governed by the Copyright Law of the U.S. (Title 17, USC). Anyone requesting materials through ILL must agree to the following statement:
Statement of Copyright Restrictions:
The copyright law of the U.S. (Title 17, USC) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish photocopies or other reproductions. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy is not to be used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research. If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or other reproduction for purposes in excess of fair use, that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law. Requested photocopies may be subject to an additional copyright royalty fee.
The Library has an "Ask Us @ Bryan Library" service which is available from the Library homepage. Questions may be submitted by email, text or chat. There is also a "FAQ" which provides answers to commonly asked questions.
Professional reference librarians are available 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (Monday - Friday). Contact a reference librarian for help answering reference questions or to get help in searching web-based databases or using the Library's collections.
You may e-mail reference questions to the librarian.
Andrea Dinkelman, Lead Reference & Instruction Librarian